Women who are new to the Fox Valley can attend an event to meet other newcomers. The Fox Valley Newcomers and Neighbors group helps women have fun while getting acquainted with others.
Also, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln's wife Mary spent some time at a hospital in Batavia. You can hear more about her "spiritual" side and her visit to the Fox Valley during a program presented by the St. Charles Heritage Center at the library.
Here are five things going on today:
1. Women new to the Fox Valley area are invited to join Fox Valley Newcomers and Neighbors for coffee from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Rte St. Charles, 2440 Production Dr. Fox Valley Newcomers and Neighbors are women who are either new to the area or have had a lifestyle change and are looking to meet new friends.
For more information, visit the Fox Valley Newcomers website.
2. The St. Charles Heritage Center will host a lecture titled Mary Lincoln and the Spiritualists from 7 to 8 p.m. at the St. Charles Public Library. After the death of her son, Mrs. Lincoln conducted séances at the White House in an attempt to contact him and other deceased relatives. You will learn more about the practice of séances during this time in history and also find out about Mrs. Lincoln's stay in Batavia.
This free event is part of the Thursday Night Lecture Series at the library. All ages are welcome to attend.
3. Today is the deadline to register for the Fox Mill 5K & Fun Run which starts at 9 a.m. on Sept. 10 at the Fox Mill Community Center in St. Charles. This event is part of the Congregational United Church of Christ and Fox Mill subdivision's inaugural United Fall Fest.
Runners and walkers of all skill levels are welcome to participate. For more information including registration prices go to http://www.active.com/running/st-charles-il/fox-mill-5k-and-fun-run-2011.
4. Singles can attend a wine and cheese event from 6 to 9 p.m. at Brix Wine and Cheese. Guests are encouraged to bring other single friends to mingle over a glass of wine and complementary cheese.
Brix Wine and Cheese is at 21 S. 1st St. in St. Charles. For more information, visit Brix's website.
5. Fun Fact: Today is International Literacy Day. This day focuses on the worldwide literacy needs of more than 780 million adults who do not know how to read or write. International Literacy Day also aims to help the 94 to 115 million children who lack access to education.