National Night Out and More: 5 Things You Should Know for Tuesday, August 2
National Night Out brings together community policing as a way of making our nation a safer place to live.
Many events are going on in St. Charles and the surrounding area today, including an important national night for public safety. You can find more about where to attend National Night Out events in our area in our five things for today:
1. National Night Out is a program designed to bring neighborhood spirit and community policing together in order to form a safer nation. There are a few area events going on tonight in observance of National Night Out:
- The Kane County Sheriff's Office will host National Night Out events from 6 to 9 p.m. at 37W755 IL Route 38 in St. Charles. Activities include demonstrations, informational booths, child identification cards made to order, free refreshments and more.
- The community of West Chicago starts National Night Out festivities at 6 p.m. at 129 W. National St.
- The Geneva Park District has events starting at 6 p.m. at Sunset Pool. Admission is free to the pool for all Geneva residents and the first 200 people will receive free hot dogs. The Geneva Police Department is giving a free safety presentation and The River Road Crew from radio station 95.9 will provide a variety of activities.
2. The 6 to 11 age group of Fox Valley Repertory Performing Arts Academy is presenting a free performance of the musical Annie on the Pheasant Run Resort’s Mainstage at 7 p.m.
In lieu of admission, the cast will accept donations of new toiletries for Mooseheart Child City and School. Requested items include: toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, shaving cream, laundry detergent and dryer sheets. Fox Valley Repertory will accept cash donations in lieu of admission to provide scholarships to local children who would like to participate in their programs.
4. First Street Cruise Night, sponsored by the St. Charles Chamber of Commerce, starts at 5:30 p.m. on 1st Street between Main and Illinois streets. This event is for families and features food, music, and classic cars from the pre-1985 era.
5. Register by today for a luncheon with United States Representative Randy Hultgren at 11:30 a.m. on Aug. 10 at the Prairie Landing Golf Club in West Chicago. Hosted by the Geneva Chamber of Commerce, Hultgren will be giving a talk titled "Federal Update."