Sex Offender Watch: A Map of Homes to Keep on Your Radar this Halloween
Of 36 registered sex offenders the Illinois Sex Offender Information website links to St. Charles, 34 are accounted for — two who the state has labeled as sexual predators do not have specific addresses on record with authorities.
Patch wants to help St. Charles parents keep their kids safe this Halloween.
In general, states laws center on sex offenders registering in person each year the local police department. They must do so for a required 10-year registration period, unless they are separately required to register for life. Offenders are prohibited from living within 500 feet of a school, day-care center, youth center or other facility that caters to children younger than 18 years old.
Sex Offenders in Your Neighborhood
A search of the Illinois Sex Offender Registry links 36 registered sex offenders to the city of St. Charles. But the results of that first search are not all that they seem to be.
A search of St. Charles’ two ZIP codes lists nine sex offenders in St. Charles who, without specifying why they are so listed, actually are not in St. Charles. A check of the Illinois Department of Corrections inmate search website verified all nine are incarcerated in various correctional facilities around the state, and therefore were omittted from this map.
That leaves 26 sex offenders listed by the state that are linked to St. Charles. Nine of those have identical addresses — at the Kane County Jail, 37W755 Route 38.
Three who the state labels as sexual predators list no address, or addresses that are vague.
Arturo Salazar Jr., for instance, has an address listed as “out of state” and in St. Charles, without further explanation. Carlos A. Rosario-Rodriguez’s address is listed as “Unknown” and St. Charles. The state reports he fled the address at which he last was registered without notification. Raymond Gonzales has an address of “Kane County” and St. Charles. The state database lists Gonzales as noncompliant with the state’s sex offender registration requirements.
All told, there are at least 15 and as many as 18 sex offenders living in St. Charles, excluding the nine in the Kane County Jail.
How the Map Works
The map is interactive, meaning you can zoom in, zoom out, or move it around to see all the plotted points.
Each marker on the map denotes a sex offender, and clicking an individual marker will provide you with the offender’s name, in most cases a photo, a brief description, birthdate and address, as well as a very brief information about the crime or crimes and the charges.
The markers are color coded and accented, when appropriate, to denote other details:
- Markers with a black dot represent sexual predators.
- Green markers denote those with a Kane County Jail address.
- Green pin markers denote those with a Kane County Jail address who are not compliant with sex offender registration requirements.
- Yellow markers denote the offenders who are not in compliance with sex offender registration requirements, and whose specific addresses are unknown.
- The blue marker denotes the offender listed as “out of state” but also in St. Charles.
The term sexual predator refers to anyone convicted after July 1, 1999 of certain violations in the Criminal Code of 1961. Sexual predators are required to register for their entire lives.
See More on Patch
Most Popular articles
- 23-Year-Old Woman Killed When Garbage Truck Crashes Into Her Car on Fabyan Parkway
- SWEET! Genevan Finds $4.85 Million Lottery Ticket in His Cookie Jar
- Stolen Car, Burglaries Keep St. Charles Police Busy
- St. Charles School Board Dumps Traffic Signal for North High
- Reward Offered After Man Grabs Woman in St. Charles