The City of St. Charles is conducting its Spring Clean Up program this year, which allows residents to place unwanted items at the curb for pick up. Spring Clean Up items will be collected on May 3 for residents east of the river and May 17 for west side residents. This service is for residents within the city limits of St. Charles only.
Advanced Disposal will conduct the collection. Please note items must be placed on the curb—
not in the street—before 7 a.m. to ensure pickup. Once Advanced Disposal has passed through an area they will not come back and then the resident is responsible for removing all materials. Also, please do not place items out more than 48 hours before the assigned collection date.
The following items are prohibited from the Spring Cleaning pick up:
· Electronics of any kind. A new electronics recycling law went into effect January 1, 2012, that prohibits any electronic items from being placed in a landfill. A list of prohibited items is available on the City of St. Charles website at www.stcharlesil.gov/green/recycling-and-waste. As an alternative, the City provides electronics recycling at the City Public Works Facility at 1405 South 7th Avenue, Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM
· Large home appliances (dehumidifiers, air conditioners, stoves, refrigerators, etc.)
· Loose batteries (not contained in equipment)
· Household hazardous waste (paints, solvents, auto fluids, pesticides, chemicals, etc.)
· Devices containing mercury (thermostats, thermometers, etc.)
· Fluorescent bulbs (both long and compact)
· Liquids and gases
· Contractor construction debris (doors, windows, large amounts of lumber, masonry products, drywall, siding roofing materials)
· Yard waste (grass clippings, leaves, brush, garden waste, rocks, sod)
· Household refuse (debris normally collected weekly by Advanced Disposal)
If you want to keep garbage cans/containers used to hold Spring Clean Up debris, please mark them with “Do not throw can away.” They cannot be retrieved once they have been collected. Also, remember don’t put items you don’t want taken near your piles.
For more information about Spring Cleanup, contact the Public Works Department at 630-377-4405, or visit the City website www.stcharlesil.gov.
About the City of St. Charles
Friendly neighborhoods, diverse retailers, international employers, innovative schools, beautiful parks, varied cultural amenities, and unique architecture have earned St. Charles its reputation as the Pride of the Fox. Located in both DuPage and Kane counties, the City of St. Charles is 35 miles west of downtown Chicago, and has a population of approximately 33,000. Over 2,100 businesses, consisting of a balanced mix of retailers, restaurants and manufacturing facilities, employ more than 18,000 people. The City of St. Charles was named the #1 City for Families by Family Circle® magazine; one of the “150 Great Places in Illinois,” by the AIA Illinois; and one of the “Top 10 Towns To Live In” by West Suburban Living magazine. www.stcharlesil.gov.