As developers work on plans to reconfigure the Charlestowne Mall and relaunch it as "The Quad St. Charles" by next fall, exterior construction is slated to start this summer.
The proposed plans for The Quad St. Charles include:
- Keeping the building as an enclosed shopping mall
- Removing the vacant former Sears anchor store
- Removing and relocating the food court
- Reconfiguring the front entrances to the mall and movie theater to create a new "front" to the mall building
- Additional retail/commercial buildings around the mall, including outlot buildings along Main Street (Illinois Route 64)
- No changes to the detention basins or landscaping along the north property line of the mall
Later this year, when the exterior work is completed, construction will begin on interior of the mall, with the goal of completing all work to the mall building by Fall 2015.
The developers are also working to coordinate parking and access to the anchor stores and theater, which will remain open during the duration of the construction.
What's Next?: City Council to Review Site Plans
On Nov. 4, the city council approved an amendment to the Charlestowne Mall Planned Unit Development (PUD) to change the zoning requirements for the site. The City also approved a conceptual site plan.
Before any construction begins, PUD preliminary plans will need to be reviewed, starting with the overall site and later for each out lot building. The review process for Preliminary Plans includes a review and recommendation by Plan Commission and approval by City Council, but does not require a public hearing.
The plans were recommended for approval by the Plan Commission on March 18, 2014, and are scheduled for review by the Planning and Development Committee of the City Council on April 14, 2014.
The developer has also submitted a subdivision application to create a building lot for the existing theater. The remaining portions of the Preliminary Plan, including building architectural elevations for the mall building, landscape plans, lighting plans and signage plans, will be submitted for review in late June or early July.