Rockford Diocese Bishop David J. Malloy will be the main celebrant at the March 27 funeral Mass of former St. John Neumann pastor, the Rev. Monsignor Robert B. Hoffman, who will be remembered for his long and distinguished service in the Rockford Diocese and at parishes throughout the area.
The Rev. Hoffman died Saturday, March 23, 2013, in his home after a courageous battle with brain cancer.
He was born May 29, 1935, in Aurora, to John and Sarah (McLaughlin) Hoffman. He attended high school at Marmion Military Academy, Aurora, Loyola University, Chicago, and Loras College, Dubuque, IA, and attended seminary at the Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium.
He was ordained July 1, 1962, and was named a Prelate of Honor by His Holiness Pope John Paul II on June 24, 1998.
Monsignor Hoffman’s first assignment was as Parochial Vicar at St. Peter Parish, Spring Grove (August 1962 to August 1963). He took on many subsequent assignments throughout the area:
- Parochial Vicar at St. Catherine Parish, Dundee (August 1963 to August 1964);
- Parochial Vicar at St. Joseph Parish, Aurora and DRE at Madonna High School (August 1964 to June 1968);
- Faculty and DRE at Aurora Central Catholic High School (June 1968 to June 1970);
- co-Pastor and DRE at Sacred Heart Parish, Aurora (June 1969 to June 1970);
- Parochial Vicar at Christ the Teacher Parish, DeKalb (June 1970 to June 1971);
- Pastor of Christ the Teacher Parish, DeKalb, and Director of Campus Ministry for the Diocese of Rockford (June 1971 to October 1982);
- Vicar for Clergy and Religious and Vocation Director for the Diocese of Rockford (October 1982 to July 1989);
- Pastor, St. John Neumann Parish, St. Charles (July 1989 to June 2007);
- and Dean of the Elgin Deanery (September 1994 to June 2007).
Monsignor retired from active ministry in June 2007.
He is survived by his cousins, Patricia Musich of Aurora, IL, Richard Quellette of Crestline, CA, Lenora Weber of Madison, WI, Donald Arimond of Rice Lake, WI, John McLaughlin of Marshall, MN, Bernard McLaughlin of Burnsville, MN, John Hoffman of Viola, WI, and many 2nd and 3rd cousins. Also his long time friend Tom Pauly, God daughter Linda Musich, and care giver Jon. Along with his brother Priests.
He is predeceased by his parents, and many cousins.
A funeral Mass will be celebrated on at 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at St. John Neumann Church, 2900 E. Main Street, St. Charles, Illinois. The Most Rev. David J. Malloy, Bishop of Rockford, will be the main celebrant; the Rev. David Beauvais will be the homilist.
Visitation will be from 3 to 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, with wake service at 7:45 p.m. in the St. John Neumann Parish Chapel and from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Wednesday, March 27.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Christ the Teacher Parish DeKalb, 512 Norman Road DeKalb, IL 60115, or Hope for Haitians, P.O. Box 5647 Rockford, IL 60125.
Arrangements are being made by Yurs Funeral Home, 405 E. Main St., St. Charles, Illinois. For more information please call Yurs Funeral Home of St. Charles 630-584-0060 or visit www.yursfuneralhomes.com.
SOURCE: Yurs Funeral Home