.

Ruiz Gets 15 to 67 Years for Sexual Assault — If He's Ever Found

"This case and others like it should be a reminder that we will always seek justice for the victim and the community, even when the defendant is absent from the proceedings.”

The Kane County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its investigation into the whereabouts of Enrique Ruiz. | Credit: Kane County Sheriff's Office
The Kane County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its investigation into the whereabouts of Enrique Ruiz. | Credit: Kane County Sheriff's Office
The Aurora Township man who went missing and is now suspected of taking off on the lam has been convicted of the sexual-assault crimes that were the likely cause of his disappearance.

Enrique Ruiz, 85, of the 1-99 block of North Farnsworth Avenue, Aurora, was convicted by a Kane County jury of two counts of predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, each a Class X felony, and one count of aggravated criminal sexual abuse, a Class 2 felony.

The jury deliberated for just more than two hours before reaching a verdict.

On multiple occasions between June 4, 2004, and Nov. 30, 2010, Ruiz committed an act of sexual penetration with the victim, who was younger than 13 years old at the time. Ruiz also placed his hand over the victim’s sex organ. The victim is a relative of Ruiz.

The victim disclosed the assaults to a school counselor, who promptly notified authorities. 

According to the Kane County Sheriff, family members reported Ruiz missing on 
Nov. 24, 2013. Ruiz told family members that he was going for a walk in Oakhurst Forest Preserve, left home and never returned. An extensive police search of the preserve proved fruitless. During the trial, Ruiz’s wife testified that Ruiz’s Mexican passport was missing and that the family owns a house in Mexico City.

Circuit Judge James C. Hallock set Ruiz’s next court appearance for 2:30 p.m. 
Feb. 13, 2014, for post-trial motions, sentencing and to forfeit bond. Ruiz faces a sentence of between 15 and 67 years in the Illinois Department of Corrections. In addition, he must register for life as a sexual offender in accordance with the Illinois Sex Offender Registration Act.

Ruiz had been free on $25,000 bond. A warrant has been issued for his arrest. Anyone with information of Ruiz’s whereabouts should call 911.

“One factor that makes child sex assault cases so tragic is that the victim often was a family member who trusted the abuser. This case and others like it should be a reminder that we will always seek justice for the victim and the community, even when the defendant is absent from the proceedings,” Kane County State’s Attorney Joe McMahon said. “I want to thank the mandated reporter who took prompt action on behalf of this victim.”

The case was investigated by the Kane County Child Advocacy Center, and prosecuted by Kane County Assistant State’s Attorneys Lori Schmidt and Reagan McGuire.


SOURCE: Kane County State's Attorney's Office


Related Articles


Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something