In the old days, we wrote letters to the editor. In this day and age, you can make your opinion known in a way that's more personal, more nuanced and more direct by making a YouTube video.
That's exactly what Chris Hanson did when he posted this comment on Geneva Patch at .
"Hey there everybody, I made a video to address the teachers, and help give them the perspective of a former graduate and current college student. I was told that this was the best and quickest way to get this video out to the community and the teachers.
The five-minute video is titled "To the Teachers of the Geneva School District." In it, Hanson, a Chicago College of Performing Arts student and 2010 Geneva High School graduate, talks about the pay cuts and benefit reductions to symphony orchestras across the country.
In the video, Hanson speaks directly to Geneva teachers, and asks them not to strike. The Geneva Education Association filed its 10-day notice of intent to strike and teachers could start picketing as soon as Nov. 9.
"I'm not under the impression or the delusion that my five-minute video is going to stop or prevent a strike from happening," Hanson says. "But, again, my goal of this video was just to bring the perspective of me, a former graduate of GHS and a current college student, to you, the teachers of Geneva School District."
Want to stay up to date on the negotiations issue?
- Like our Geneva Patch Facebook page.
- Follow us on Twitter at @PatchGeneva.
- Sign up for Geneva Patch's newsletter and breaking news alerts.
- Click the "Keep Me Posted" button below this text.
- Reports: GEA Members Authorize Strike; Nov. 9 Earliest Possible Strike
- Geneva Teachers Express Frustration Over Stalled Negotiations
- UPDATE: Geneva School Board Calls Special Meeting to Discuss Teacher Negotiations
- Is a Teachers' Strike Possible in Geneva? Green Buttons Show Solidarity on First Day of School
- Patch Poll: How Much of An Increase Should Geneva Teachers Get?
- Batavia Teachers Get Raises in New Two-Year Contract; Geneva Still Negotiating
- Where Do You Stand on the Geneva Teachers' Union Negotiations?
- Geneva Teachers Expected to Picket Before Tuesday School Board
- State Teachers Union Announces Geneva Talks at Impasse
- UPDATE: Geneva Teachers Union Posts Its 'Final Offer'
- District 304: GEA's 'Final Offer' Calls for 18% Salary Hike in Final 3 Years Before Retirement
- Teacher Talks Resume Friday; Here's the Timeline If an Agreement Isn't Reached
- Geneva School Board's 'Final Offer' Made Public
- Geneva Teachers Give Notice of Intent to Strike
- School Board: Union's 'Rigid Stance' Kept Parties Apart for Months; GEA Responds
- Patch Poll: Which Offer Is More Fair to Teachers and Taxpayers?
- UPDATE—Geneva School Board: GEA Filed Intent to Strike While Sitting at Negotiations Table
- Geneva School District Outlines Plans in Case of Teacher's Strike
- GEA Posts Open Letter to Geneva Citizens
- Geneva School Board Releases Its Most Recent Contract Offer; Special Meeting Monday
- 'Show Will Go On' for the GHS Fall Play—Even If There's a Teachers Strike